There are some dishes that are so simple, so quick, and so cheap to make that I literally keep a list on hand for those supper-induced-panic afternoons. I grab my list, scan my pantry, freezer, and fridge, and inevitably find something delicious and healthy to make for my family. One of our favorite crock pot meals is Creamy Mexican Chicken. It’s crazy simple and super versatile. Check it out . . .
Creamy Mexican Chicken
What you need:
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 can Rotel (or off brand equivalent)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I like the fire roasted ones from Aldi)
- 2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 bricks cream cheese
- 2 cups of frozen corn (my family likes corn, if yours isn’t a fan, feel free to cut back!)
- 3 Tablespoons ranch mix
- 3 Tablespoons taco mix (Both my ranch and taco mix have salt in them so when I’m using a lot I don’t add extra salt. Just wait and taste it as you’re dishing it out. USUALLY I don’t need to add extra.)
What to do:
- put the chicken in the crock (being that this is usually made last minute, my chicken is pulled from the freezer and tossed in)
- add everything else
Let the magic crock do its thing for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
I stir mine a lot. Not that it needs it necessarily. I guess I’m just impatient.
When it’s done, take the chicken out and shred it with two forks and then stir it back in. Voila! Supper is done. And delicious.
Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, and cilantro- or any combination there of. My oldest son likes to put jalapenos in his bowl.
*A few notes:
- There are so many ways to eat this- over rice, over quinoa, on lettuce as a Mexican salad, as a soup, in a burrito, reheat the leftovers topped with cheese in the oven- then top with scallions and eat it with tortilla chips!!
- This is also freezer-friendly. Let your leftovers cool and put them in a freezer baggie. OR, put everything in the freezer bag (except the cream cheese) and it becomes a crock pot freezer meal!
- We only use one large chicken breast for this, which, in my opinion, is plenty of chicken. Feel free to add more or even skip it all together for a vegetarian dish!
- This recipe makes enough to feed my family of 8 twice if we eat it over rice. But no matter what, we always have leftovers for lunches later in the week.
- Sometimes I throw everything in the crock pot when we wake up on Sunday mornings and it’s done by the time we get home from church.
Creamy Mexican Chicken is definitely one of my go-to meals in a pinch. What are some of yours? Share them with me in the comments and I’ll give them a try!