For years I’ve made DIY play dough. The stuff you get in the store is just too chemical laden for my tastes. While I don’t always enjoy the acting of making the dough itself, knowing that my children are playing with a version that is much better is well worth it! This easy recipe whips up in no time at all and is always a kid pleaser.
DIY Colored Play Dough
What you need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring
- 1 cup flour
How to make it:
- Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm (I usually add at least 15 drops of coloring)
- Remove from heat and add flour
- Stir, then knead until smooth
- Store this dough in an airtight container or a Ziploc freezer bag for up to 6 months
This simple DIY play dough recipe makes enough for my three smallest children to share, with each having a good size ball.