During the summer, we like to use fun homeschool science supplements instead of trucking through our regular science curriculum. Each year, we try something different during the summer. This year our choice has been Learning About Science Collection, Level 2 from WriteBonnieRose.
This has been our first time using the Learning About Science Collection, but it is by no means the last.
Fun Homeschool Science Supplements
Each of the Learning About Science Collections (there are three different levels) includes eight PDF workbooks, each being 16-26 pages long and are geared for 1st-3rd grade.
- Understanding Food Chains – Students discover what a food chain is, how animals can be both predators and prey, and how every food chain starts with the sun as they learn about food chains of animals in thirteen different environments.
- Why Do Animals Hibernate? – Students learn about hibernation and other ways animals survive the winter months in this unit by looking at the life of eleven different animals.
- Plants: How They Grow and How They Help Us – Students explore the world of plants in this unit that explains pollination as students look at the life cycle of an apple tree, pumpkins, cocoa beans, sunflowers, and conifers.
- A Closer Look at Body Systems – Students examine the roles of key body systems and the major organs, cells, and tissues that make them up.
- The Cycle of Water and Types of Clouds – Students learn about the water cycle and several different types of clouds.
- The Solar System: Planets, Earth’s Moon, and Constellations <— this is the one we worked on, so you’ll read about it below. 😉
- Forces and Simple Machines – Students explore the concepts of motion, distance, speed, forces, and simple machines.
- Scientists and the Scientific Method – Students learn the steps of the scientific method and different types of scientists such as physicists, chemists, botanists, zoologists and more.
The Solar System: Planets, Earth’s Moon, and Constellations
We have really enjoyed using this little book. It’s 26 pages long and because the contents are all black and white, it’s easy going on the ink.
The Solar System covers . . .
- how scientists classify galaxies
- the Milky Way
- the sun
- the phases of the moon
- constellations (specifically Little Dipper, Hercules, Orion, Canis Major)
- scientists Galileo and Sir Isaac Newton
As you can see, it’s quite comprehensive in concepts, however, each subject only has a page or so itself before moving onto the next subject. By doing it this way, you cover lots of different concepts but don’t get too deep and go over the kids’ heads.
As you can see, the books can be read by children or read aloud by you while the kids color the pictures and trace the words.
There isn’t a whole lot to color, it’s not a coloring book, but I believe it’s just the right amount of coloring/tracing to keep the kids’ hands busy.
The books are very, very reasonably priced, and right now Bonnie Rose Hudson has an awesome coupon for you!
You can save 50% on the bundled Learning About Science, Levels 1, 2, and 3 with coupon code REVIEWCREW50 through August 15, which means you can get each set of ebooks for $6 per set!!
Be sure to check out WriteBonnieRose to grab some of these fun homeschool science supplements!